Monday, March 1, 2010

a quick note

I apologize to everyone for taking so long to get this blog going. It’s been two weeks since I left, and I know for almost everyone this is my first contact. I will try my best to be more prompt from now on, however, if I am unable to, I will write in my journal or type entries on my computer and upload them here when I can.

Before I get started, I thought I’d type a little bit about what I hope to get out of this and what I want this account to become. First and foremost I want an account of my Peace Corps service here in Uganda for both myself and for my friends and family. Unfortunately, I will not have the time or internet access to write lengthy emails to everyone I love and be as much a part of their lives as I was back in the states (sorry Mom). For those of you wishing to keep tabs on me, this is probably the easiest way for me to keep you in the loop. That way, when I do have time to email with you, I can actually have a conversation instead of me just talking at you. Second, I hope that by sharing my experiences with you, you may be able to come up with new insights and perspectives about what’s going on over here that hadn’t occurred to me. I really do value all of your input, and I think it will help me continue to learn and grow throughout this whole process. If you can learn something from this then I think that’s wonderful, but I am not writing to inspire or even to seek attention.

I am sure that in the beginning this will mostly be an account of day to day events, and I will try to always keep some of that, but my hope is to also include some cultural perspectives and attitudes that occur to me through that days events as opposed to just a record of that days events. I will try to be as honest as I can, and I know that that’s going to mean that some people aren’t going to like some of the things they read, but censoring myself is not something I care to do, or even do well when I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment